Thursday, June 9, 2011

My New Best Friend


Hello everyone and thank you so much for all the well wishes and prayers for my surgery. :)  It was a rocky start with the anesthia but the surgery for a total hip replacement was done. I am sure it will be a great success. (Eventually) I honestly went into this only wanting to know the basics. I didnt want to know too much, and I am glad I didnt know then what I do know now. I honestly may not have been brave enough to put myself through this.  Its amazing what your body has to do to recover from an invasive major surgery.  The healing process is truly a miracle, but you sort of feel like on of those super hero cartoon characters going through their change. All of the contorting and and pain to get from ordinary human to super hero status.  The side effects from the pain pills have been horrible, so I am doing my best on Extra Strength tylenol. It does pretty good except on Physical Therapy days. I have to give myself blood thinner shots in my stomach twice a day and now they are bleeding.  My operated leg was way too swollen so that caused another three day stay in the hospital. My incision is at least 12 inches long. That is alot of muscle and tissue to cut through.  I guess I am feeling pretty beat up and exhausted. But I feel I am turning that corner now.
Im ready to face PT and get this leg working. I want to be good as new. I am ready to get on with my life.  I am not even sure what I want anymore. I just want to be healthy, have energy and lots of fun.  The really good news is that the implant itself feels great and has never really been much pain. Obviously the large incision has, but you would think where your old bones had been pretty much sawed out and new hardware place inside that would smart more than it has.
I credit this to the skill of my wonderful surgeon! If you ever need a great Ortho Surgeon I can not recommend Dr Dungy enough. He is amazing. He had his work cut out with me. My socket was very deformed and he met the challenge! He is truly my hero.  His assistant Tina and office staff are unbelievable and I consider myself truly blessed they came into my life. Soooo, for now my new lovely walker is my new best friend. My daughter April fixed it all up to make her cute! LOL  It gets a laugh from everyone, so its nice to get a smile instead of someone feeling sorry for me!  These pretty pink flowers were sent from my job Target. They are so pretty, I am looking at them right now. Well, I need to stop procrastinating and get to those exercises I need to do. Thanks again, (()) gail        

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Take care friend and it's good to know everything went good with your surgery...it looks like you've even scored a cool Barbie wheeler :)
Daisy~

Char said...

I am happy to know that you came through with flying colors and are very much on the mend.
You are stylin for sure with the pink Barbie basket, Char

Joanne@ Desertmountainbear said...

My thoughts are with you Gail, I hope you feel better soon. Sorry to hear about your intolerance to the pain meds. They sure would make your life better about now.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you Gail.... I hope you feel better soon! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

ImagiMeri said...

Ah sweetie, I totally forgot and I have a walker that I could have let you borrow. I've used it twice and should I ever get good insurance I'll be able to do my right knee finally. I aplaude your bravery, as I do know just how painful it is.

God Bless, and you're in my healing prayers.

Hugs,
Meri

Unknown said...

Hi Gail!

I am so happy that you are getting better each day. I know that soon you will be feeling good again. Surgery takes time to heal. Love the walker with the cute barbie basket. You are so clever..lol You are always in my prayers and can't wait to see you running around.;-D
XOXO
Janet

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ohhh my girl ... I am praying for you to heal quickly and perfectly !
You just focus on getting well and taking good care of yourself.

(())

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Gail!

How are you? Thanks for dropping by my blog! I hope you are recovering well from your surgery, and do take care!!

Sincerely,
Pei Li

Unknown said...

Hi Sweet Gail,

Just had to pop over to thank you for the sweet comments and also to say that I sure hope that you are feeling better each day. I also hope that April is doing well. You are both in my prayers always.
Have a fantastic week you deserve it.
xxoo
Janet

Edith DUTERTRE said...

super la customisation du
déambulateur
moi qui a la" sclérose en plaque"
cela me donne un idée pour
le mien ; il a 4 roulettes
merci beaucoup pour votre
humour
à bientôt
et bonne convalescence
amitiés
IRIS